Author Stacey Rourke

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

WHEN WE LAST LEFT OUR HERO...

Recently I have acquired a few new followers. (Hi newbies!!) To summarize for the newcomers what they have missed I will simply say that if you want to be a writer and one of your parents DIDN'T go to finishing school with the president and CEO of Random House, be prepared for a rough journey to publication. Yep, that about sums it up!

Lately I have been spending a great deal of time on the "business" aspects of this quest into the literary world. Networking, editing to make book one more marketable, researching new contacts, blah, blah, blah. As I have nothing to show for these efforts yet the situation has been comparable to beating my head against a wall. Yes, I know if I want to get published it's mandatory but that doesn't mean I have to like it. Or that I shouldn't be brutally honest when I say on the fun scale it's right up there with a red hot poker in the eye. Truthfully if this was all there was to the business of books I would want no part of it.

But it's not.

Every author, every publisher, every editor, they are all in this industry for the love and admiration of the written word and the stories that can take our imaginations soaring to worlds that we never thought to imagine. I was reminded of this as I sat down to begin editing book two. I hadn't looked at my first draft since I finished it. Now that I have, my passion and enthusiasm for it has been refreshed. I honestly cannot wait to share it with all of you. THE CONDUIT sets the stage, but in EMBRACE OF THE CALL the "fun" begins. I am very proud of it and it reminded me that this is what I am working for, to share my stories with all of you. I'll jump through the hoops I have to for publication, but my real enjoyment and passion is creating stories that will make my readers laugh, cry or just stare in slack jawed astonishment. If I can accomplish that I have done my job and it will make all the hoop jumping worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. I am so beyond excited for you to get this book edited I can barely stand it! I look forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read "Embrace of the Call". Please, please be done soon, I will put the books that I am curently reading aside for your writtings.

    ReplyDelete